The Next Step
Joy Daniels, Instructor
This class offers a chance to take your Celtic Knotwork to the next level. Haven't done Celtic Knots in a while? Not to worry, we've got you covered! Joy has also filmed a short video on the basics to refresh your memory for students in this class.
Joy will cover new designs that can be used in many ways, including holiday cards! There are so many applications where these designs are just the thing to go with calligraphic work. I can just imagine how beautiful a Celtic Knot design would be at the top of a calligraphic poem.
We will be building on the skills learned in the first class. For this part, you will need a compass for drawing circles and a protractor, in addition to the previous list of materials. We will be using some very basic geometry but don’t be put off – it’s not scary!
We will also cover some different coloring techniques.
Celtic Knotwork: The Next Step
Live online course
with video replay
Sept 28 - Nov 25, 2023
Live sessions: September 27 & October 1, 2023
1:00 pm New York Time
*Please note revised date*
5 hours total:
2.5 hours per session with Q & A
Join live and/or watch the recordings
Students may join live or just watch the recordings (or both!), as it suits your schedule. We understand that life happens! With the recordings, you can watch and re-watch as many times as you like.
TIME ZONE CONVERTER
These are just a few of the things that will be covered in the class...
- The basic rules for the weave
- The design process from the initial working out to the finished knot
- How to add shading with coloured pencils
- How to make a circular design
- The simple trefoil or triangular knot and how to draw it
- How triangular knots can be linked into a circular or square design
- How to turn your design into an ornament
How our classes work
- The class is a live Zoom class that will run for 2.5 hours, including time for Q&A.
- Each session is recorded and available to watch for a full 6 weeks.
- Filmed in HD, with closed captioning.
- Everything you need can be found in the online classroom, including handouts, the supply list, the Zoom links, and the recordings to watch when it's convenient for you.
Do I need to have any experience to join?
How long are the lessons?
What supplies are needed?
I've never taken an online class, is it difficult?
Will I be able to ask questions?
Can I watch the videos again?
Can I download the videos?
Joy is a self-taught calligrapher (with a little help on the way) and works from her studio in Northampton UK. She worked as a poster/ticket writer for 10 years in the ‘80/’90s and has since concentrated on smaller scale calligraphy work. Joy is a CLAS accredited tutor and has taught many different arts and crafts subjects to groups of all ages. She became interested in pointed pen work in 1999 and took over the running of the CLAS Copperplate Special Interest Group for 15 years. Joy has been a visiting tutor to many regional calligraphy groups in the UK. Her interest in Celtic design was sparked by a day workshop 25 years ago and she has been practising ever since!