THE BUSINESS OF CALLIGRAPHY
with Kestrel Montes
There are many instructors who can teach you about calligraphy, and we are delighted to host some of the best here at Acorn Arts. But who teaches you about the BUSINESS of calligraphy? There is so much to learn, so many questions that need to be answered, and all the things you don't even know you need to ask! We have teamed up with a real pro, Kestrel Montes of INKMETHIS, who can help walk you through all the steps. Kestrel has built her business into a strong six figure income that has sustained that rate for more than five years.
Kestrel has learned SO much along the way, so let her save you from the mistakes that many make when first starting up.
Here is a little about the variety of her success since launching in 2014:
- Over 70,000 sales on Etsy (3 shops)
- Over 7,000 font sales on Creative Market
- Over 20,000 sales on Amazon
- Over 45,000 sales on INKMETHIS.com
Having built a 7-figure annual revenue around calligraphy, she knows what she's talking about! And her background in education makes her a natural cheerleader for others' successes!
Kestrel helped me narrow my focus so I could save time on what is most effective. She shared great tips and resources.
Kestrel takes women’s entrepreneurship to a level of unstoppable excellence in everything she does!
Kestrel is giving of her time and talents to help other fellow calligraphers succeed in this industry.
These are just a few of the things that will be covered in the class...
TRANSITIONING FROM HOBBY TO BUSINESS
- Making the mental shift: Doing it for money not love
- Knowing when you are ready: Addressing the Doubt Monster
- Friends & Family: The expected discount dilemma
- Building a portfolio: How to show off when you don’t have much to show
- Branding/Naming: Picking and securing your business name
- Photography: Taking photos that sell
- Mockups: Work smarter, not harder
- Vectorizing: Why you need to know how
- Getting Found: Website necessities, SEO, marketing, building an audience (without spending a fortune!)
- Painless Networking: Getting work by giving it away
- Assessing Clients: Reading between the lines for the red flags.
- Selling Yourself: Learning to toot your own horn
- Website Necessities: What you should really have
- Social Media: Attracting an audience while balancing the life-suck
- Building an Email List: How to grow a list and why you should
- Exposure Options: Putting yourself online without spending a fortune
- Professional Associations: Networking without torture
- Connecting with the Competition: Building a community
- Reviews: Where to get them and why (some) bad ones can be good
- Collaborations: Pros/cons of styled shoots & pro bono work
- Contracts: What should they say and when to use them
- Pricing Fairly: How to be fair to yourself and your fellow colleagues
- Sales & Giveaways: The ugly truth
- Pricing Transparency: Why we should all post real prices
- Cancellations: When do you NOT offer a refund
- Hidden Costs: Health insurance, retirement, income taxes
- Getting Paid: Payment processing options
DIVERSIFYING YOUR REVENUE STREAMS
- How Many Eggs In the Basket: Narrowing your focus but NOT narrowing it
- Money While You Sleep: Passive income development
- Making Things: Product development & production options
- Shipping: You sold a thing, now what
- Wholesale: Becoming the supplier
- Building an Empire: Selling on multiple platforms
- Make Life Easy: Preparing document templates
- Be Legit: Permits, liability insurance & licenses
- The Big Question: Sole Proprietor vs LLC
- The Unavoidable: Income taxes, sales tax, VAT, 1099s
- Counting Pennies: Tracking business expenses
- Artists Respecting Artists: Copyrights and the DMCA
- Sample contracts: events, commissioned pieces, digital work, royalties
- Sample invoice
- Sample cold call email
- Sample wholesale catalog
- Sample commission request reply email
How it works
- This is a blended live and recorded online group workshop. In order to cover more content, lessons will be recorded each week for your independent viewing.
- Following each lesson, we will have a live group Q&A session to address any questions you may have.
- Live lessons will be recorded and available for replay a few days before the live Q&A session.
- All handouts, links and recordings are found in the course portal.
The Business of Calligraphy
Recordings available August 25, 2023 - January 7, 2024
6 pre-recorded lessons that drop each week, plus live Q&A sessions via Zoom
Optional Q&A sessions: August 29, September 5, 12, 19, 26, & October 3, 2023
1:00 PM California / 4:00 PM New York